Forum home Problem solving

Dying plant?

ryanharvey181ryanharvey181 Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Problem solving
Bought this house plant from ikea about 6 months ago, not sure why the ends of the leaves have started to burn/die? 

Don't think I've over or under watered but I'm not sure.

Please advise :) 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    There seems to be quite a bit of new growth at the bottom.  Have the leaves just suffered some physical damage? Inevitably even evergreen plants lose leaves so it might just be the natural process. It looks like the biggest oldest leaves are dying back. Make sure that it gets sufficient light in addition to water.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,972
    Has the pot got drainage at the bottom? Best to have it in a pot with holes, if you need to protect the floor sit it on a saucer and tip excess away if it's sat in water.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,002
    I think you have it nailed @WillDB. How is that plant draining if the pot's sitting on the carpet?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you everyone for replying. No holes in the bottom, I've been watering it with caution though and check the soil to see if its dry... think I may have over watered it once or twice to cause the damage? I'll drill a hole in the bottom see if that helps. At the moment the only sunlight its getting is from it being sat at the back of my living room without direct light, is that enough?

Thanks again!
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    The leaf tips of 'indoor' plants often go brown if the atmospheric humidity is too low ; then again spraying & misting wouldn't be practical given its positioning .
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    If we have a few nice days I would be tempted to put it outside for a while, in a not too sunny spot. If there is some gentle rain, the plant might enjoy that too as it would wash its leaves. Dust can be a problem to indoor plants as it blocks the pores. Alternatively you could give it a gentle wash with a mister or gentle rose on a hosepipe. My aspidistra have a summer holiday outside despite them being house plants. Good drainage, as mentioned is also extremely important as all plants dislike having their roots in stagnant water.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,673
    Every now and again I stand my big houseplants in the bath and give them a tepid shower to get the dust off.
  • Thank you all for the helpful comments, I've bought a mist spray bottle, didn't even know dust could be a problem for the plants!