Invasion of the lambs ears.

KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
A couple of months ago I ripped out a load of Lambs' Ears (Stachys) because they were taking over and smothering other plants.  For a variety of reasons I hadn't been into that part of the garden since.  Down there today, and the entire area I had cleared is covered with Stachys seedlings.  Jeez, they are invasive.  I'll have to keep a close eye on the area from now on.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
    I grow the variety Stachys byzantia 'Silver Carpet' which doesn't flower,so no seedlings!!
    Makes lovely ground cover in dry place,border edges etc.
    The sparrows round here rip up the leaves in spring to line their nests!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,258
    They don't do well here for some reason and I really struggle to get them established. I think the soil is too heavy and the air is too damp. I persevere though because they've got such great wildlife value. I always manage to get at least one or two plants to flower nicely but they've never set seed.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    I thought they would have been ok for you WE,  our weathers similar and they self seed everywhere,  as you say, the flower stem gets covered in bees,  not an attracted plant but very beneficial. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,258
    The only place they grow here is in gritty soil behind my dry stone wall, which is annoying since that was supposed to be a spot for alpines and sedums. I get a few self-layered cuttings off them each year which is enough to keep the stock going but no seedlings.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,123
    Thanks @KT53.   You've just given me an idea.  I have been moving seedlings out of our "grass" and into a very dry border but I reckon it'll also do well as contrast in th eother dry bed I've started to fill with sedums.  They can both spread as much as they like.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw