Forum home Problem solving

Bulletproof Viburnum

Does anybody know whether any varieties of Virburnum are not affected by the Viburnum Beetle?  I would like to grow again but I know the beetle is already present.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868
    I only get them on tinus and opulus
  • @nutcutlet are you growing others?

i quite fancy burkwoodii
  • Still interested in your real world experience but just found this useful article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/11566155/How-to-win-the-battle-against-the-viburnum-beetle.html
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    I have V. burkwoodii @1634 Racine, and no sign of the beetle, but I don't know if it's common up here anyway.
    I dont have many friends who garden in any serious way, so not sure how prevalent it might be either. Sorry - that's probably not much help!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Fairygirl What do you think of burkwoodii in general?
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,288
    I've seen V.Tinus and V. Plicatum Mariesii planted next to each other on another forum. The V.Tinus has viburnum beetle but they don't touch the Plicatum, I've even asked if they attack it but Plicatum in this case seem unharmed .
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Neither V Plicatum or V Carlessii get affected.
    SW Scotland
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    I've had it a couple of years, and it's quite slow growing, but I've also had to be 'in about it' for various reasons, and that probably hasn't helped.
    It's really still settling in, but has grown a good  bit over the last year. I got it because I wanted an evergreen for the site, and the bonus is the mainly white flowers.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868
    edited August 2019
    @nutcutlet are you growing others?

i quite fancy burkwoodii
    @1634 Racine
     sorry for the delay in responding :)
    I have a couple that I think are burkwoodii but came cheap and unlabelled, Some of the pink winter flowering x bodnantense, rhytidophyllum and lantana. Never had a problem except with the 2 mentioned