Wilted cucumber

Any ideas what happened to the front cucumber? The back one as you can see is fine

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 603
    Assuming you have not let it dry out (and I guess you would know what was wrong then) I would check the stem, I've lost them to wind breaking it and critters nibbling through.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,654
    Stem rot (where the stem meets the compost) is another possibility with the weather we've had here this summer
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 338
    We lost one early to stem rot but this stem looks fine!
  • Afternoon
    I would say that the problem may be related to the soil in the containers.Cucumbers are fast growers and can take up a lot of nutrients.In a container the roots cant go further looking for nutrients or water which they would if not in a container. You could try adding some feed into the soil and some you get are slow release granuals so can cover a few months without needing a top up.
    Love cucumbers its worth trying the "Burpless" range or the "Telegraph" variety

Happy gardening

Jolly G
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 338
    @Jolly Gary the Gardener would lack of feed really cause the plant to shrivel up and die when it's neighbour is ok? It has had liquid feed every few weeks.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,918
    One possibility is bacterial wilt, which is tranmitted by cucumber beetles.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.