Rose labeling

I would like to label my roses in my garden, what is the proper way to label them? I am new to the forum, thanks in advance for the help!

Lucy

• B3B3 Posts: 10,004
    Do you want to tie something on them? I would be inclined to take a photo if it in flower and label that rather than the plant
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I am making the labels out of pottery and I am looking for the type of info that would be found at a botanical garden in their display.  So far I've seen
    Rose Name (1st line)
    class of rose/ year introduced/ breeder (2nd line)

• similar to this type of label. 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    If you want 2 lines, I would put the botanical name (Rosa........) on the top line and the name of the rose (Gertrude Jekyll) on the second. I'm much more interested in the name of the rose than the group it belongs to, so would make sure that the name was large!
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,345
    Here are some examples for you... in brackets are the Breeder's Codes which are always used to identify a rose as some will change their commercial names from country to country, but the code remains the same..
    ..it's usual practice to put the name of the rose in quotation marks..

formal..

Rosa 'Munstead Wood' [AUSbernard]
    English Rose shrub
    Austin UK 2007

less formal..

'Munstead Wood'
    Austin UK 2007

formal..
    Rosa 'Octavia Hill' [HARzeal]
    Floribunda
    Harkness UK 1994

less formal..
    'Octavia Hill'
    Floribunda
    Harkness UK 1994

..there are variations for species roses and for found [unknown] roses where double quotation marks are used.. 

• Marlorena said:
    Here are some examples for you... in brackets are the Breeder's Codes which are always used to identify a rose as some will change their commercial names from country to country, but the code remains the same..
    ..it's usual practice to put the name of the rose in quotation marks..

formal..

Rosa 'Munstead Wood' [AUSbernard]
    English Rose shrub
    Austin UK 2007

less formal..

'Munstead Wood'
    Austin UK 2007

formal..
    Rosa 'Octavia Hill' [HARzeal]
    Floribunda
    Harkness UK 1994

less formal..
    'Octavia Hill'
    Floribunda
    Harkness UK 1994

..there are variations for species roses and for found [unknown] roses where double quotation marks are used.. 

Thank you!  I am looking for a more formal presentation.  Just the information I was looking for!