Forum home Wildlife gardening

Can anyone advise on what plants to leave when sowing wildflower meadow perennials?

2»

• pjwizonpjwizon Posts: 42
    edited August 2019
    nutcutlet said:
    forget the compost, it encourages good grass which then overpowers the other plants. This is where the 'wild plants like poor soil' myth started I think. It's not true, there are wildflowers that like all soils, but they compete better with grass if poor soil restricts the grass

I see your point, but the ground is so shockingly poor that common ol' lawn grasses won't grow in it, so wouldn't wild flower annuals stand no chance? Would mixing some Yellow Rattle in with the seed mix help if orgnic matter is rotavated into the soil?

If we are able to move, an absolute priority will be a house with a garden that is not a compacted, uneven, rubble-filled mess. The only way to deal with the ground in the long term is to hire a landscaping company to come in with mechanical diggers, sig out the rubble, relay top soil etc, and that's beyond our means at the moment.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    @pjwizon I have an acre of rubble (and other rubbish) filled mess, hired help beyond our means as well. There is something for every piece of ground. Don't spend a lot, get some cheapo seeds and sow, if the grass is already weak you don't need yellow rattle. Personally, I'd go for perennials though. Those Hawkbits are a good start, Scabious and Lesser knapweed go well in rubbish, also Antirrhinums if you're not sticking to natives. I bet Feverfew would be fine as well