Forum home Problem solving

Strange fungi in lawn

hi, every year I get thus strange fungi growing in the same area on my lawn. I have tried to dig down and replace the solo and lawn but it always returns. It has quite a hard texture almost rubber like, does anyone know what it is and how I can get rid of it once and for all please

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,202
    Can’t put a name to it, but it will be living off some rotting roots under the grass. Any trees or big shrubs been removed from there lately?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    A photo of the underside would help with ID. Does it have gills, pores or spines for example.

However even if it can be identified it will be impossible to get rid of it. The mushrooms above ground are just the fruiting bodies which the hyphae throws up. The main body of the fungus will be a network of filaments throughout the soil and could extend for hundreds of metres. Just cut off the mushrooms as they appear and the fungus will move on once the food supply is exhausted. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    I agree totally with @steephill

The fungi are breaking down organic matter in yiur soil which oil which will make it available to the roots of your plants. Without fungi we would have no gardens. If you really hate the sight of them just knock them over, scoop them up and put on your compost heap ... but I love to see them
    and wonder at the marvels of Nature just as I do the plants in my garden 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi there, did you find any solution to this, I have exactly the same fungi on my lawn and spreading.
    Mark
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    edited October 2019
    Hi @mark.daly 😊 

It’s fungi time of year in our gardens and nothing to be concerned about  ... the fungi you can see are just the fruiting bodies (sort of like the ‘flowers’ ) of the huge underground network of mycelium which is everywhere in the soil.

As soon as the weather turns colder the fungi will disappear.

In the meantime if you don’t like them knock them over, rake or sweep them up and put them on the compost heap or in the bin.

They are simply nature’s way of processing decaying organic matter into a form that can provide nutrients to the roots of your plants. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    I love seeing all the little mushrooms in the lawn at this time of year :)
    There were some very impressive ones near me on a stretch of grass. 

Nothing to worry about @mark.daly :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....