Biters

B3B3 Posts: 10,003
Has anyone else noticed that they haven't been bitten so much this year?
I'm not complaining but it's a bit strange. The last couple of years i wasn't able to poke my head out the door without slapping on the ASSS but this year nothing.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 603
    Lucky you, getting bitten to death here, clegs mossies the occasional unidentified biter as well.
  • EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 196
    My ankles both been munched on, one bite on each, but that's it. But you're right, not as much as normal...thankfully for me! 
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,772
    Well you're lucky. I look as though I've got some sort of pox. I never see the wretched biters though.
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 229
    Veg garden is full of marigolds with herbs at the front including 2 rosemary plants-which is supposed to deter some bugs. Various lavender scattered in flower garden and next to sitting areas. Lemon grass-though rather chewed down-is next to the cat enclosure.
    Even though we were very bad about covering over the rain barrel in early spring, we have been spared mosquitoes.
    Only one wasp was circling the one year old today-but decided he wasn't sweet enough ;)
    Last week OH found a 4 inch  centipede (yes 4 inch-no typo) that came in on my clothes out of the garden and was too disturbed not to flush it-bug advocate that he is.
    I just attributed it all to the growing ecosystem balancing itself out and maybe a bit for complimentary planting.
    Can't explain why the centipede wanted to be so friendly though. Very glad to have found out about him after he had extricated himself from my clothing. :#
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    They’ve been out and about in Norfolk 😣
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,301
    I don't think bitey stuff likes me. I can live with that.... :D
    Even the infamous Scottish midge doesn't trouble me very often.  
    Sorry  :/ 

@HouseFinch ; - opposite end of the scale to your centipede. I came in from the garden a few days ago, and after a few minutes, something on my sleeve caught my eye. It was the teeniest, tiniest caterpillar I've ever seen, carefully making it's way along my arm. He was barely a centimetre long. Beautiful  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 229
    @Fairygirl How cute!
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,768
    They seem to have been worse here, I've stopped wearing shorts in the garden because I keep getting bitten within minutes - the bites then swell up and itch for days on end.
  • I thought I would extend the life of my trousers and washing machine bearings by wearing shorts when gardening this year. I've only one pair of gardening trousers and they get a bit hot and uncomfortable.
    Big mistake.
    Bitten and stung to ....