Forum home Problem solving

Patio Doors from slamming

Hi Everybody,

I need your advice/tips how I could prevent patio doors that lead open onto my garden from slamming on a nice sunny, but windy day.

Things I have tried so far but failed - Leaving a heavy chair against the doors, flower pots didn't work either . 

Have a great day

Many thanks -KeepGreen  :)

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    Put a mat at right angles across the threshold 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Wedge something under the doors when they are open.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

"Old School" but works a treat.
    Devon.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Our French windows have a metal strap (can't think of a better term) which is fastened into the top of the door and into the frame at the top which clicks into place to keep the doors open at right angles. Apparently all outward opening doors are fitted with one these days. How old are your doors and is it possible to have them fitted in retrospect? Our doors are UPVc.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    Are they outward or inward opening?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,877
    Fit sliding doors.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,877

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 105
    Joy* said:
    Our French windows have a metal strap (can't think of a better term) which is fastened into the top of the door and into the frame at the top which clicks into place to keep the doors open at right angles. Apparently all outward opening doors are fitted with one these days. How old are your doors and is it possible to have them fitted in retrospect? Our doors are UPVc.

The doors are 1 year old and they do open outwards - Thank you very much  , i will try to find the stuff you mentioned .
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 105
    hogweed said:
    Are they outward or inward opening?

Outward - Thank you 
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173
    Patio doors are sliding doors; hinged opening double doors are French doors, which is what I think you have.  If they are new PVCu doors, there is likely to be a mechanism at the top that holds them in place.  You have to stand on a step ladder to see it, but once found, a turn of a screwdriver will hold them in place.  Once set, you will find that the doors will be more firmly held open.  If not, contact the manufacturer for advice.