Forum home Problem solving

Papaver (Oriental Group) replanting

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to keep my Papaver Oriental for very long before they die off. I have tried in pots and in the ground but keep on losing them.... Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• BlackhalloliverBlackhalloliver DevonPosts: 33
    Hello there do you mean papaver orientale ?
  • john1072john1072 Posts: 30
    I did thanks for the correction and your speedy response
  • Magpie-MaidenMagpie-Maiden Posts: 39
    edited August 2019
    The leaves and flower stalks of papaver orientale turn yellow brown and die back at this time of year.  The plant is not dead, just hibernating.
    Just cut it all back to ground level (and fill the gap in the border with an annual to keep the border looking nice).
    The roots will over winter and the plant will pop up afresh in spring.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    These plants are usually difficult to get rid of. If you try to dig them out, they will grow from any roots left behind. They like well drained soil so are your plants in a damp area of the garden?
  • john1072john1072 Posts: 30
    Ceres said:
    These plants are usually difficult to get rid of. If you try to dig them out, they will grow from any roots left behind. They like well drained soil so are your plants in a damp area of the garden?
    Hi,

Thanks, that's a very good point, perhaps that's one issue. I will experiment. 
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    Experimentation is good. It's one way of finding out what will and won't grow in your garden.