cutting long grass areas

We have a micro meadow in our small meadow, near the espalier apple tree. This year I mowed until June, which helped stop the bird's foot trefoil taking over and gave the grass a chance. I've seen grasshoppers in it this year - will strimming to trim it in a month or so hurt the wildlife? Should I do it in sections? The area nearest the apple tree will be left or cut with secateurs.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,067
    Any wildlife will feel or hear the strimmer coming and hide.   There is a very specific regime of cutting t manage a wild meadow and you have to be sure to remove all the cut material to keep fertility low and let the wildflowers thrive.

Have a read of this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=446 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,852
    edited 17 August
    One thing that doesn’t respond quickly (enough) to mechanical cutting is the frog. Especially baby frogs.🤢

We go over ours with hedge clippers, a little at a time as our backs are fairly ancient, and let the grass lie flat for a few days. Nothing much wants to live in flattened grass, except maybe worms.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 338
    Perfect! Yeah, I used to do the spring and summer cuts, but the birds foot trefoil took over. It was simply grass, trefoil and red clover originally as I wanted to make sure the plants were safe for guinea pigs. 
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 338
    @pansyface we have no frogs yet and it's a small area so I should be able to check it over for amphibians (and cat poo) before strimming.