Restarting the vegetable garde

Hi everyone,

I am seeking some advice about my vegetable garden. 

For the past two summers I have neglected my little vegetable plot (life has got in the way!) But I am now keen to return to it and get it ready for next summer.

About 4 years ago I started to use it and I completely dug over the soil and added manure and new compost to all of the boxes. Looking at it now there are a few weeds which I can remove and then turn the soil. Would it be advisable to add more manure now? I am a novice to this so any advice is appreciated! 

Also, at the back of my vegetable garden I have a few trees growing, one being a pine tree. I have noticed that when the pine needles drop they are landing and covering my vegetable boxes. I've had a quick look as to whether this would be good to use as mulch to suppress any future weeds from growing. Has anyone used this before? 

Thank you in advance 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,110
    I would pull up the bigger weeds along with their roots and hoe any small ones then cover the lot with cardboard to cut out the light so no more weeds germinate and then put on a good layer of well-rotted garden compost or manure and leave it for the worms and micro organisms to work in over winter.

If you have plants that need to go in now, clear a space, water well, cover with cardboard and mulch as above then just poke a hole in the cardboard to plant them and then water thoroughly.  

Add more mulch every spring and autumn but don't dig except to fork out any persistent weeds.  That way you will preserve the micro-organisms that aid soil fertility and build up great texture for healthy plants to get their roots down.

I would gather up pine needles and compost them so they don't smother small veggie plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw