Forum home Problem solving

Laburnum tree

Does anyone know if my stunningly beautiful Laburnum tree should have lost most of its leaves just yet and how do i check if it has died 😢 I live in Angus Scotland can't remember this ever happening so soon before? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,485
    Hello brierfield1947 and welcome to the forum. Your laburnum shedding its leaves may well be due the the unusual weather patterns we have had this year so I don't think you need to worry unduly. I would leave well alone until next Spring and the new season.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • thank you so much 😊 i just checked it again and there are wee leaf shoots coming through 🤗
    My boys watered the garden when i was on holiday and i think they forgot my tree and it must have really dried out in the very hot sun we had.
    it is grown in a container so i can control the height 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Ah - in a container is always more difficult. It's totally reliant on you for it's nourishment. Have you got a mulch on it? That can help prevent moisture loss after watering, especially if it's then dry for a few days.
    Just make sure for future years that soil is replenished regularly, and that it's in a soil based medium , not just compost. Apologies if you already know that. 
    If you're going away again during summer, it's worth shifting it into a shady spot too, if you can. That will help prevent moisture loss as well  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ohh thank you but i dont know how to replenish soil without digging it out? 
    but i could do a mulch. i'm no gardener so could you suggest something as a mulch please? 
    😮👌
    You can just remove an inch or two of the old stuff from the top of the container with your hands, and put some fresh stuff in  :)
    Bark is ideal as a mulch, but almost anything will work - gravel, well rotted manure, decorative pebbles/cobbles. Whatever is easiest for you to get hold of, and which pleases you to look at. Keep it an inch or two away from the main stem to avoid the possibility of rotting, and apply after a good watering.
    Just make sure your container is well filled too. It's surprising how many queries we see on the forum about plants in containers, and when we see a pic, the pot's only half full of soil. If yours is like that, you would need to remove and replant so that there's only an inch or so between the soil level and the rim of  the pot, so that the tree gets maximum benefit from available nutrients :)

• hi Fairygirl
    Thank you so much j didn't know i could put pebbles in top . I'll do that and you're quite correct i now don't think i have enough soil in i will certainly fill my bixes up 👍🤗
  • boxes 📦 lol 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    edited August 2019
    Don’t pile soil up around the trunk or it’ll rot ... you’ll have to raise the rootball up when you add more soil. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Have you got a photo? We can all  offer other suggestions if we can get a better feel for how it looks  :)
    If it's too low down in the pot, you'll need to take it out and start again. It'll benefit the tree long term.
     If you have someone who can help you, that will make it easier. It's an awkward job on your own. 

• hi
    ooohhh no i'd rather not upset my tree I don't think its tooo low 
    ill send photo later thank you