Forum home Problem solving

Are the greener leaves normal

KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 105
Im curious as to whether I should trim these green weed like offsprings or is that just the way the leaves look before turning purple ?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    They look like they are growing from below where it was grafted... I'd cut them off if that's the case. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Is your tree intended to be like a standard rose, having a long trunk with all the growth at the top? Acers are usually grafted quite near the soil. Your photo appears to show green shoots half way up the trunk. If it is a standard you will need to keep the trunk clear of green shoots.  If it isn't, it looks quite nice with both varieties growing on the same plant. However you would have to keep the green part under control as you frequently find that green shoots grow more vigorously than either copper coloured or variegated leaved plants due to the coloured leaves containing less chlorophyll. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I agree.  The green foliage is from the rootstock and will weaken the purple growth so need to be removed.

I think you also need to give it a decent stake and poper ties.  Those green ties are too tight and do not allow the trunk to flew or grow.  You'll end up with a strangled plant.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 105
    Ok, thanks I’ll stake it properly in the morning and remove the ties. 👍