Cleaning dried sap and assorted gunge of my secateurs

2»

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,496
    Have you tried tomato ketchup ...... leave it on for 24 hours and it works wonders 😜

makes you wonder what it does to your insides 😱
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,381
    According to my US relatives, tomato ketchup is the only thing that gets the smell of skunk off a dog.
  • A little oil (light machine oil, a water displacing penetrant, coconut, rapaseed, olive, jojoba, camellia whatever comes to hand) applied at the end of each day will loosen gunk.
    Soak for half an hour in soda crystals if you are going to lubricate. It's moderately alkakine, shouldn't corrode parts but will dissolve lubrication.
    Acids will risk corrosion and pitting which will enable the blades to hold onto more gunk. I'll only use abrasives once a year to polish the outside face of the blades  -when servicing as over time stock removal adds up, gets in the joints  and grease resulting in excess wear at the joints. Even then that's just a non-scratching scourer pad.  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568
    Don’t clean mine either, or wash pots.  I’m as sluttish as @Hostafan1
    I run them over a stone if they’re blunt and spray WD40 on the spring and joint if they get stiff. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941
    @chicky - neither tomato ketchup nor coca-cola or similar get inside my gut!  Seen what they do to rust, muck and varnish.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,959
    Fairygirl said:
    What a disgusting old slattern you are @Hostafan1..... :D
    Obelixx said:
    Doesn't wash his pots either!
    Fairygirl said:
    Ach - he's a dirty minger altogether @Obelixx ; :D
    Guilty as charged. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,671
    Hostafan1 said:
    Guilty as charged. 
     :D 

I have to admit that, although I said I wipe and oil mine, that actually doesn't happen every time..... ;)
    Tomato sauce makes me gag. I didn't use to feel that way, so I'm not sure why that should be.
    Just as well I don't have a dog @josusa47. Or any skunks....  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 580
    edited 17 August
    I let OH use my Felco 7’s.....which I’ve had for 40 years are were in good nick despite never having been washed, covered in tomato sauce or any other foodstuff.  He wrecked them in an instant! Forced them and broke the pins that hold the blade.  

Ordered some new pins, that cost about 50p, but couldn’t get one of the broken pins out. Tried to claim on lifetime guarantee, no takers.   Eventually gave up and sent them for servicing (to Burton McCall if I’m allowed to say that)  Cost £25, but what came back was a brand new pair of felco 7’s that are otherwise about £50.    I miss my old ones, but happy to have a solution.  OH is never, ever touching my secateurs again. 

So in extremis do be aware there is a repair service available.