Laurocerasus

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,751
    Let us know how it goes  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KhenleyovaKhenleyova Czech Republic Posts: 13
    I will!! Hopefully with no more dead bushes. 
    I will!! Hopefully with no more dead bushes. 
     :D 

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 786
    I have had success with ornamental grasses like Pennisetum in similar conditions. Or maybe some silver leaved shrubs that can withstand heat and don't need so much water. 
    Good afternoon, thank you for your thoughts. I will check it. It doesn’t sound as a bad idea. Grasses look very elegant and could create the screen as well. Obviously not as my bushes but sounds good.  Well, at this moment some of the bushes do not provide and create the screen due to my existing problem. Thank you very much!
    Good suggestions from @Bijdezee - it's always good when someone with the right experience can help with advice. It's not a situation I have any experience of   :)

Fingers crossed for you anyway @Khenleyova :)

I will never give up! I will have and create a lovely green screen with help from all of you!
    I think you're doing a pretty good job already, without any input from us!
    Your terrace/balcony looks very good  :)

Thank you very much for a such nice words. I love plants, gardens. We got large garden beyond Prague, 2ha of all different themes. But of course during the week we are living in the city where i try to bring the garden to our terrace. And as you could see, growing plants which belong to the ground/garden it’s not easy. I don't have huge experience with pots/plants in container , therefore I really value all views/ideas. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,230
    As suggested by Fairygirl, if you could have a bit more soil in those containers, your shrubs should do a bit better. But you will always need to keep an eye on watering.

Looking again at your photos, I think, if you like this particular shrub then I suggest you give it a bit of a prune back. That should rejuvenate it with new growth and fresh leaves. The more you cut back, the more branching the more denser the shrub will get, and that tends to help the shrub withstand wind, minimising wind rock and scorching. I know it will look a bit shabby for a few months, but longterm it may help your shrub get more branching.

Depending on how cold your terrace gets in the winter time, and the amount of sun, there are other options, but difficult to suggest without this information.

If it doesn't work out in the long run, take a look at Nadina Domestica if you have a sunny site. They look nice all year round, more naturalistic cream small flowers and red berries through the winter. Elaeagnus Ebbingei could be another option for shade. Very adaptable shrub that usually withstand winds and the sun too. As long as the containers have more soil down the bottom, and you trim them regularly, they should be able to do well.