Astrantia

2»

• nicktennickten Posts: 31
    In a couple of years you can start dividing it in the autumn, they seem to benefit from this and it's a fast forward from seeding. 
  • AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 132
    Marlorena said:

If cut down after the first flush they will rebloom...  mine are on the 2nd flush now...

@Marlorena

Do you mean cut right down to the base like you would with e.g. a geranium? Mine has just started to go over so I've cut off the flowering stalks and the tattiest leaves, but the whole thing is looking a bit worse for wear now and I was wondering whether to just chop it all off...

Thanks!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,110
    I cut the whole lot off, like geraniums, they grow new fresh growth very quickly. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,341
    @AndyDean ; .. yes, as Lyn said.. I should have said though I only grow named varieties that are renowned for repeat bloom... namely 'Roma'..'Warren Hills' and 'Buckland'.. all these have the same parentage [Astrantia maxima x major]... and are I think the best for general planting.. there is also a 'Shaggy' [aka 'Margery Fish'] that I don't have but is much recommended...

… the seed raised strain 'rosensinfonie' I have found not to be so good and I don't keep any self sown seedlings...
    ..they benefit from regular division as in time they develop a running rhizome... 

I just took these photos of 'Roma'.. 

I moved this 'Warren Hills' just 2 weeks ago and already new shoots...

• AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 132
    Excellent, thanks @Lyn and @Marlorena !

Not sure what the variety is now, but I'll give that a go with mine.

I'm aware of Roma, it's on my mental list of plants I'd like...
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,110
    I have pale pink, white and dark red but they were all from seeds that someone sent me from our seed swap on here, I don’t mind what colours I get but have found that they’ve stayed true. ish, 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have checked out the label, I have a white Astrantia called Star Beauty and I managed to get a couple of dozen seeds from it before I chopped the dead bits off, perhaps I will give it another chop having read the comments above, the plant is still in it's pot until I jiggle other plants around which I may not do for a month or so yet as some of the plants to move are still in bud or flowering. Watch this space!