Vertical planting for small front garden

• jennifergilleecejennifergilleece Greater ManchesterPosts: 4
    You could also put window boxes on the upstairs windows with ivy or other trailing plants to give some cover and interest while you are waiting for the climbers to grow up that far?
  • LyncoreLyncore Posts: 14
    Yes, I really like trailing plants in window boxes; it will definitely help to create interest whilst I wait for the other growth. Still not quite enough to hide that horrible pebbledash though!
  • VgledhillVgledhill Posts: 2
    Hydrangeas under the windows love that aspect 😜
    Yes, I love the climbing white Hydrangea. Also now loving Pyracantha, but it’s been suggested that too many different climbers may look messy. It’s hard to choose (I want them all!), but I’ve only got 3.2m, plus over the front door, plus around the adjacent binstore. I want fragranced evergreens under/around the windows/binstore, so Trachelespermum Jasminoids, and Lonicera are definates, just have to choose between roses, clematis, and the hydrangea, pyracantha for the rest of the space...
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    can we have a picture. Our last house was 1930s, and pebbledash, not difficult to paint, at all.Hydrangeas a get pretty big, evergreen honeysuckly would be nice.  I know its always said you cant grow them in a pot, we have 2 each side of an archway in plastic windowboxes, we inherited them grown in them, and they do very well, but yes, they will do even better in the ground.
    I can’t get the photo off my ancient phone, but here’s a rough diagram. We’re going to make a bin store (about 122 wide) and place it facing east on the far right, with a trellis above and beside. I’d like a strongly scented honeysuckle there, and also a Star Jasmine which I want to train along the front wrought iron fence. I’d also like another Star jasmine around the door and trained through the left side fence. We’re going to put trellis either side, and above, the window and door. We’ll put up wires above these when the plants outgrow them (I think depending on which areas look too empty...). So I figure I’ve got space for 6-7 plants at the back if I plant roughly 45cm apart. (The space behind the bin store is only 14cm wide, so I’m assuming that's not enough to plant the climbers?) After the 3 mentioned, that leaves me 3-4 plants to choose. I’ve been trying to make a list based on year round interest, but I’m like a kid in a sweetshop when I see clematis and roses...I want them all! 
  • lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 272
    Lyncore is saying it faces north-east...it may be that some of the suggestions may flower/grow poorly.  Just saying...:/
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,992
    Are those measurements in centimetres? It's a really tiny area to try and plant that number of climbers. 
    Either they wont thrive, or you'll have a jungle. Plants need good airflow/moisture to thrive, not just theright aspect and soil conditions. 
    One climber alone would be adequate for the front elevation, or perhaps two clematis [or similar] which flower at different times,  but if you plant something like Hydrangea petiolaris, you'll constantly be cutting it back around the windows. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Lydiaann, I realise that Lonicera and Trachelospermum Jasminoids will do better on the east-facing bin-store area than around the NE facing door, but I’m gonna try! I’ve checked lots of others that are ok on NE facing walls, although the scent/ flowers may not be as strong. Any suggestions?
    Yes Fairygirl, those are centimetres, 44cm x 290cm next to the house wall (The east facing side has to fit behind pavers and a binstore and is only 14cm x 166cm which I’m assuming isn’t wide enough for climbers?). I agree about the hydrangea, I’ve already crossed that off the list. The Lonicera and trachelospermum are to be trained to the side and front fence. For the back I wanted clematis almondii for evergreen foliage, and Montana for scented spring flowers, with a showpiece clematis for colour and form, and a scented rose. Do you think I should forget that idea then?