please help

2»

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230
    I love these, they smell so lovely! The first time I grew them I thought somebody nearby must be having a lovely soapy soak with their bathroom window open until I realised it was these, I was at least 10 feet away from them too, that's how strong the scent can be! I make sure I have some bulbs every year by digging them up and storing them (they tend to rot if I don't), there's always a lot of bulblets around the main bulb. Mine have yet to flower this year but I look forward to them putting in an appearance :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,300
    Yes - they rot here, even in well drained areas. Too cold and wet in winter. I treat them as an annual, a bit like tulips. I can never be bothered to lift them.  ;)
    The cheapo shops often have them at a very good price. You can get 20 or 30 bulbs for a few quid, and a wee bit of protection over winter is all they need. Not a bad return, even if they don't all survive and grow.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,422
    Fairygirl said:
    I've never detected a scent either @LG_ , but I often can't detect scent in plants, and many of them need more heat for the scent to develop well too. When they flower, we don't tend to have that much heat here anyway.
    I don't have a strong sense of smell, but the ones I grew a few years ago smelt divine. The ones I have now (though not in flower yet this year) have literally none, even if you stick your nose right in them! Very disappointing. My brother's ones were the same. It was super hot here last year, for weeks on end. I think I've just bought (beautiful) duds.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • nicktennickten Posts: 31
    Thanks LG, mine haven't flowered either and I'd given up hope.
  • thank you all the scent is amazeing I do have gladioli all over my garden but this year  my lillies have gone mad and ive got loads all over garden im well happy with my garden this year with flowers 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,300
    @pauline parker-sleet  did you see my earlier post re the canna? Is that a  possibility?  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,907
    I grow mine in deep pots but they still don't always flower.
    AB Still learning