Very bad white staining on Acer leaves

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,133
    edited 15 August
    Remember that if your acers need acidic soil (ie not containing lime or chalk) your stone mulch mustn’t contain limestone ... eg those smart white limestone chippings that folk often use in such situations ... the chalk in the stone will dissolve in the rainwater passing down to the roots  and kill your trees. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Can we have a close up of some of the individual white spots please. From those pics it looks rather like a scale insect infestation as well 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KLKL Posts: 38
    Is that close enough ? 

Not really ... better idea ... you have a look here 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=557

and see what you think

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=201

edited 16 August
    Thanks for the links, I’ve just checked and it thankfully isn’t any of them. It does to me look clearly like white mildew powder.

going back to the green leaves I mentioned, it clearly looks like the trees are reverting to their original state so I’m going to take a chance and cut back all the green ones then next year see how they have turned out.
    edited 16 August
    Ok glad that’s cleared up smile 😊 ... but that does mean it’s the worst case of powdery mildew I’ve ever seen ... you can expect to lose most of the affected leaves I’m afraid 😟 

Powdery mildew usually strikes plants that are already stressed .., I usually due to drought ... although they must not be waterlogged, acers need a lot more water when they’re in leaf than most folk realise. 

Its sounding like the watering is the issue as when I bought them last May I was told they don’t like a lot of water just occasionally spray the leaves themselves. So I haven’t watered them directly for that reason bad advice from the centre I bought them from. 

With the advice I’ve received on here my plan is to strip out the turf and look at laying non lime containing stone or similar. Trim back the green leaves which will be a lot and then I can only sit back and wait to see how they turn out next year. 

Does that hat sound about right with you ?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,354
    That's pretty poor advice you had @KL.  Spraying the leaves in particular. That's fine when it's cloudy [although still very odd advice for those] but if you do it in sun, it's never good - for any plant :(
    When you take into consideration the drought many people experienced last year, and the fact that those were fairly mature specimens you bought, not little tiddlers, it's a wonder they survived at all, so I think you've done well. 
    Yes - keep them watered, and you'll get a feel for that as you go along, apply your mulch, and then keep an eye on them over the next year or so.
    Don't be frightened to come back and ask more questions if you're worried in any way too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I would give each tree a bucket full of water at least twice a week ... more often if there’s been no rain. 

See that’s where I’ve gone wrong as both your replies insist on watering an awful lot more than they have been getting due to what I was told. 

Could this have have anything to do with the tree trying to revert back to green foliage instead of the purple ? I have extensively trimmed the green leaves from the 3 trees today so hopefully it fades out for next year. 

I also also spotted this little fellow who’s taken up residence but in one of the 2 taller green trees ( 3rd picture)