Very bad white staining on Acer leaves

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,437
    Oops! Your post wasn't there when I started typing mine :)
  • KLKL Posts: 38
    Hi bewitched - yes indeed they are Acer Crimson king. I found a picture of the original label and it states 7m tall x 5m wide in 20 years which is obviously far to big for where I have planted them. Would I not be able to keep on top of them by regularly cutting back each year ? The whole idea of the trees was to give me some screening during the summer from the adjacent car park and flats which they have been perfect for. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,238
    JennyJ said:
    Oops! Your post wasn't there when I started typing mine :)
     :D 

I do it all the time @JennyJ . It's either 'great minds think alike' or 'fools seldom differ'.  
    Don't know about you, but I'm opting for the first option  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Me too @Fairygirl !!
    edited 15 August
    @JennyJ ; :D

@KL - you can always do a little bit of judicious pruning rather than having to remove one or two etc, but just be careful when you do it and how much you take off.  :)

Sorry for the continual questions but I want to get this right for both the trees and me . I don’t like to fill the whole strip with mulch as it won’t be very nice to look at I would much prefer to circle round the trees with mulch so is that an option Or will the grass on the existing areas still cause issues ? Are there any other options ie putting down weed barrier sheeting then say fill the area in with stone chips ?

Also Jenny you mentioned to leave a small area around the trunk to be clear of the mulch, what’s the reason for this.

Thanks 
    You can clear the grass from a circle around each tree, but it should be quite big. The RHS says 4 feet diameter, Gardeners' World says 50cm from the trunk (so 1 metre diameter). In your case that's probably the whole width of the area between the wall and the path, which might look a bit odd.

If the mulch touches the tree trunk it can cause the bark to rot.

Ok, so pointless as you say circling round the trees with such a narrow strip. Could I fill the area with stones instead of mulch ? 
    Yes - pick something attractive, that suits your style. It does exactly the same job.
     Just follow the same precedure  :)

Perfect , my original plan was to fill with white pebbles so I will go back to that plan. I took a few pics of the green leaves which are taking over now so I better get cutting as I don’t want the leaves to be fully green I think purple is nicer to look at.