Advice please

2»

• Tayside2Tayside2 Posts: 20
    Update ..... my anxiety has got the better of me & I’ve ordered spikes !!!
    thank you for all the advice & @Dovefromabove many thanks for the warm welcome x
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    An alternative would have been to bolt it to short posts set in concrete along side it.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 534
    I expect they cost a lot but compared to the cost of the pergola and plants I think you are wise as you couldn't retro fit without dismantling the whole thing. 
    I hope you enjoy sitting under it 😊
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,994
    edited 14 August
    I'd agree with @K67. Worth it for the peace of mind.
    Enjoy using it  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,646
    Hope we get to see a pic of it in situ... and with plants ... and someone sitting underneath it with a glass of something long and cool ... 😎 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hello , me again 🙄

I posted this as a separate post as it was around planting not garden design but I only received responses which  were around who owned the fence & what I could & couldn’t do should it not be my fence - but very respectfully I was after gardening not legal advice . It’s a shared wall & I'm on very cordial terms with my lovely neighbours who are very pleased that we have paid for the fence & will secure their trellis preference on their side of the posts so thankfully absolutely no issues there . I’m really after some experienced gardening expertise.

So as a result I’m returning to you my initial & very positive contacts , hoping you don’t mind me diving back into your collective knowledge.......

So my project is going really slowly , mainly due to the relentless rain fall .
    However , I have been collecting plants for the past 6 weeks & need to get them in the ground & now that the fencing above the wall is up & the borders are in place I can start to plant 🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️ Also , as my garden has looked like a tough mudders course for weeks I’m bursting to do something creative.
    So I'm after two pieces of advice from you more accomplished & experienced gardeners .
    the first is ... I’ve had top soil delivered , should I nourish this by mixing compost into the top soil before planting or is fish blood & bone mixed into the planting hole sufficient - or should I do both 🤷‍♀️ I feel that I should do something but don’t want to meddle unnecessarily.
    The second question is ... I’m going to plant climbers intermittently along the borders hoping to have them scramble along the fence ( I’ve tried to show this in the second picture ) I have a variety of clematis, jasmine,honeysuckle etc but I’m not sure as to the best way to encourage them upwards , once planted some of them won’t reach as far as the fence. Should I attach a fan shape trellis to the fence & train them up that or should I attach wires from the wall upwards or is there a better way ?
    I hope that the photos help , I appreciate all feedback as well as advice as I’m a total novice . Many thanks x

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,994
    Hi @Tayside2. To answer your first query - I usually just add some compost and B,F&Bone to the planting hole. New advice seems to be don't bother adding compost, but I feel that if it's a new border being created, it simply adds nourishment. It's what gardeners have done for decades, so it's inlikely to be a problem of any kind  :)
    The support for climbers largely comes down to budget time and appearance. Trellis is my preference, but others find it's too expensive,and they don't want the bother of treating/painitng it etc.
    Having that lovely wall obscured would be a shame, so I think I'd go for wires attached to vine eyes wihch you screw in at regular intervals horizontally. You could then attach trellis on the fence - again on the horizontal. Some of the narrower stuff would be fine, but if you prefer, just continue with the wires. It will also depend on the climbers - if they're evergreen, the support will be covered, so wires are cheaper.
    Bear in mind that it isn't a huge border you have, so it won't support masses of plants. Check the ultimate sizes before planting to save having to remove some later.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,728
    Make sure you plant them away from the wall, especially the trees as the will grow up and outwards as well, looks horrible when net door cut them back to the their side of the fence.
    Bear in mind shrubs can grow very large,  6 -8’ across,  and as tall.  So many people plant them as young potted planted then in 2 years they’re all on top of each other. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

That’s great advice , thank you 😊 
    Hubby is busy with a pick as we speak making sure it’s not impacted below the top soil ( I’m on bacon buttie duties 😬) , then he’s digging it over before planting . I’ve got the blood fish & bone for the planting holes & will try to reign in my desire for instant impact when planting  . I’ve been guilty of over planting in the past only to be editing the space a couple of years later 🙄🤦‍♀️ so thank you as that’s a timely reminder to me x