Garden Support Obelisk Suggestions

2»

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 445
    Thanks for the obelisk suggestions. Another question, do you put the obelisk in front of the plant that you want to train up it?.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 479
    It depends on the plant and its growth habit. I have a columnar rose in one and growing it inside the obelisk. An annual climber I have planted on the side...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,504
    Inside/outside also depends on the growth habit of your rose and how flexible the stems are. I have a Warm Welcome planted inside an obelisk as I read that is what you are meant to do with roses.

I tried cutting it back last year to retrain it better using the winding around the outside technique as it all wanted to grow up the inside and I hadn’t really made much effort to train it originally. It flowered pretty well anyway, so I should have left it ‘pillar’ style as the new canes were too stiff and refused to be teased out and wound around. So all I achieved was to set back the growth, as now it’s only half the height of last year!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,941
    If you have a blacksmith or metal worker near at hand you could ask them to make you one. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 445
    Well i ended up buying a 8Ft Traditional Obelisk by GAP Garden Products. I just could not afford some of the ones in the link and i needed 3 Obelisks. They are £60.99 inc postage from Amazon.
    • Height 96" (2430mm)
    • Dia 18" (457mm)

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,579
    Look pretty good to me. I've got a similar 6ft tall one with a vigorous HT rose on it and it has lasted well so far - about 5 years I think.