When to water the lawn...

Hi, we have just had a new lawn laid, and while I know it needs regular watering, when do I do it? Some sources say in the evening to give the water a chance to soak in, and others say doing this encourages disease and so early morning is best. Any thoughts? 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,736
    The grass needs the water most during the day when it's warmer and water is lost through the leaves, so I'd go for morning if possible.
    Watering evening also means the roots are wet and maybe cold overnight and the extra humidity could encourage various fungi
    That's my tuppence worth
    Good luck - at least it's not being baked in the sun all day this summer :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 553
    Water whenever you can, it makes little difference to the lawn! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,953
    You can buy a simple battery powered timer for your hosepipe tap attachment then put a sprinkler on the business end on the lawn.   Then set the timer, turn on the tap and leave it to go off automatically. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • elu439elu439 Posts: 13
    Thanks. As a follow up, I just went out to water it and my hose can't reach the whole lawn! Would laying a couple of planks down to walk on do much damage? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,718
    I think that would be ok @elu439. You can also get hose connectors, so if you feel it's worth it, you could buy a short length of hose and one of those to give you a better  reach.  :)
    I'd always be inclined to water at night in summer if it was me, so that the water gets right down to the roots, but I don't think it's vital to do one or other, as @glasgowdan ; says. It's what suits your circumstances best.
    We don't usually have to worry too much about watering grass though.... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,552
    I'm guessing you mean the sprinkler won't water the whole lawn at one go as planks wouldn't make the hose any longer. :-)  Planks will help spread the load on very new laid turf, but I didn't use them when our lawn was laid.  I just stayed off as much as possible and walked on a different area each time I needed to move the sprinkler.  If you start with the sprinkler at the far end you can probably jus pull the hose to move it nearer.