Pots and Planters - Fibreclay or Plastic?

We are having our garden changed a lot.  We have trying to save some of the plants we have had established for quite some time by moving them into pots / planters rather than into the skip.

The garden is very contemporary - straight lines and right angles, predominantly light grey and we would like dark grey or even black pots / planters.

The challenge we face is we have done the tour of the local garden centres and online, found items we like in stone or fibreclay but everyone complains about the chips and damage.  Even in the garden centres, just for their delivery the damage is really bad, so when we get it home any accidents will leave them in a right state, which we would not be happy with.

This has led us to rethink plastic for its durability.  We are leaning towards the Capi Urban range, but we are thinking its very pricey for, well... plastic!  The 50cm is £90!

Are we being a bit naive? We are spending £1,000's on the garden work and concerned about a few £100 on plastic pots.

What is the collective wisdom of the forum in this matter please?

• EricaheatherEricaheather North West uk Posts: 197
    £90 For a pot?!?! Personally I would not spend that sort of cash on a planter! Get yourselves to wilko or home bargains. I bought 40cm pots in home and bargain in spring for £1.75 each! 
  • The thing is planters of that price tend to be terracotta coloured and old fashioned.  Not straight lines and right angles in the dark grey.  This is the closest thing...
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,423
    I have some fibracotta planters in a similar style. Not cheap, but much less expensive than terracotta (also lighter, but not light). I like the more breathable (than plastic) material, the weight and the look. I would not be happy paying that much for plastic planters - maybe keep looking?

Mine are in a more or less permanent position, arrived undamaged and have remained so. I guess if they were being moved around a lot there might be more of a risk - is that what you're planning?

Have you considered corten steel? It's also expensive, but might suit the look you're after and be less easily damaged.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    I think if you're spending a lot of money on the garden @craigrachel777 , don't skimp on the pots. If that's what it costs for a good product, which you will have for a long time, then go for it.
    I'm assuming you've already done a fair bit of looking around online etc, as well as in GCs? I'd say that the curved one you show, while very attractive, could be limiting for osme types of planting, so you need to bear that in mind when choosing too. 

I have a few of the resin ones which look like terracotta. The advantage is the weight, but I'm afraid they don't last long, although that could be down to our weather here. One fell apart completely last year, and the others developed holes which I patched up, but I doubt they'll last much longer. I bought them 6 years ago, so they haven't lasted much longer than decent terracotta.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    If you choose plastic and might need to move the plants on, avoid ones with a sort of 'folded over' top. To get plants out, something has to go, either the pot or the rootball of the plant as you have to dig it out.
  • Not intending move the pots around, once in place they will stay there.  The conten steel appears to weather over time, which is nice, but not what we want this time.

Restricting the size of the pot / plant is kind of the idea.  It's about low maintenance for us... we learnt the lesson on bamboo which looks lovely but went mad spreading (there is never a panda around when you need one).

We've visited all the online sites that google suggests (like primrose and getpotted etc) which is what has brought us to the Capi Urban range.  We've also seen the Capi Urban in person at a garden centre, which has made us think about the value given the high price for plastic.

We like the stone look cube, but the concern is the damage from delivery.  Wayfair have good reviews for the clayfibre cubes but many say they arrive damaged, but wayfair replacement them immediately.

It's a kind of a circular argument, hence looking for some guidance. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,322
    Apologies if you've already done this @craigrachel777, but if you like that particular range, have you looked on eBay  and/or Amazon to see if you can get them cheaper?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 401
    @craigrachel777
    I'd recommend Ecopots, they are made in Holland and out of recycled plastic and they are amazingly well made and are very thick so should last for years. The exterior finish is really good too. Wish they were a bit cheaper but they are they only ones I'd buy when I can't have a ceramic one. They use the inherent texture of the material for the surface finish so if they get scuffed it's still the same colour all the way through. 

https://www.ecopots.eu/

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 493
    I prefer the fibre type. Prices vary widely but Primrose have an excellent selection they do charge for delivery which also varies. 
    The one I ordered did come chipped with a few scratches but I got a part refund so well pleased and was a good price for it's size. 
    Zinz ones do come cheaper.
  • We agree with the ecopots (we found at a garden centre) but... they are not straight lines and right angles.
    They are tapered.

The price of the fibre type do vary, but it's the easy damage that is the problem.  Getting a refund of any size does not replace a damage pot and the damage is not acceptable, especially when paying so much for them.