Forum home Problem solving

Diane Fisher

banddrfbanddrf CambridgeshirePosts: 3
My potted white hydrangea, which has flowered for years, has not flowered this year.  The plant is producing lots of new shoots, looks lovely and healthy but has not produced any flowers.  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Could be a problem with pruning.  What variety is it and have you pruned it recently?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • banddrfbanddrf CambridgeshirePosts: 3
    It's a mophead macrophylla and no I haven't pruned it.  
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    These flower on wood produced the previous year so it's either had a frost at the wrong moment and that has killed the flower buds or it's in need of a feed to encourage flowering - rose or tomato or comfrey - or it's just taken a year off for some reason.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    If it's been in the same pot for years the chances are it is pot bound. I would try to ease it out of the pot to check, and if it is, use a bigger pot, or ideally plant it in the ground.
    SW Scotland
  • banddrfbanddrf CambridgeshirePosts: 3
    Thank you.  I will give it a feed, then look at repotting it as it has always been in the same pot.  Although the pot is large, I have had the plant a good few years and it's strange this is the first year it hasn't flowered.