Paving slabs right up to walls?

124»

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,766
    Yeah that's in-situ; a bit different than lifting a couple of slabs! I think I'd go with some extra large, long, trough type planters against the wall.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,293
    edited 13 August
    Yes  looking at it now - you're right @2point4.
    B*mmer  :/
    Can you go with @glasgowdan 's suggestion and beg, borrow or hire a cutter, if you don't have one? I don't expect many people will have one of their own  ;) Depends how deep it is though... 

Failing that - build some containers. Not difficult, even if you only have basic skills. Most 'off the peg' containers are far too small for climbers long term, and those timber ones you can buy are hideously expensive. If you can't manage it yourself, a local joiner/handyman would do them pretty easily.
    You could also do them in concrete block and render, then paint them, if you wanted a more contemporary look. Bit of nice paving/stone round the top to finish them off and match up with the house would look good. Or do them in brick to match the house etc.

If you go down that route - remember to have them up off the ground, and plenty of holes for drainage though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 485
    A lot.of people have a small angle grinder in the shed. You just buy a disc for it to cut slabs, quite cheap
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,258
    I had a poured concrete path like that down the side of my house. The whole lot had to be dug up to connect pipes for a new septic tank (now has a lovely new patio over it). It was very thick and needed to be dug out with a heavy, industrial pneumatic drill and the pieces lifted by a tractor into a dumper truck. If its anything like that, you could end up getting nowhere fast with an angle grinder and making a right mess in the process. I don’t think I would risk it, there may also be sewage/drainage pipes underneath. 

Large planters/troughs probably safer! Don’t put them hard up against the wall though as the wall behind would get damp and compromise the dpc.
  • lardpraolardprao Posts: 12
    Really appreciate all your advice!
     My dear  Mum was a fabulous gardener and I so wish had listened to more of her teachings and taken greater note when we ‘walked round the garden’.