Paving slabs right up to walls?

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,775
    As others have said, if you're not raising levels adjacent to the DPC it won't make any difference. If you remove slabs and find they're on sand, you might need to haunch the remaining slabs around the hole you've created, to stop the sand washing out and hold the slabs in place.
  • lardpraolardprao Posts: 12

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,857
    Rather than climbers what about wall baskets and hanging baskets and lots of pots with tall plants in?
    edited 12 August

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,316
    Very pretty @debs64 ; :)
    I think the only problem is that the OP is looking for something relatively low maintenance. 
    Correct me if I'm wrong @lardprao, but if the length of those slabs is twice the width, you could lift two, then replace one the other way  [ ie perpendicular to the others]  if you get my meaning. That would give you a good area for a climber, and you could also underplant with bulbs/groundcover etc. 
    As @WillDB says, you may need to put in a little concrete haunch against the remaining slabs to avoid the base eroding away if they're on sand. You would do that first, then dig out and enrich the soil before any planting. You'll also need wires or trellis on the wall for any clematis to be tied, or cling, onto.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you @Fairygirl it’s not low maintenance you are absolutely right. I was trying to show that you can have colour and perfume without climbers in pots. I have tried clematis, honeysuckle and jasmine without any success in pots. Sweet peas struggle too and even nasturtiums grow leafy and lush and lacking in flowers! I have grown a tree in a half barrel and I have over 100 pots of different sizes but climbers don’t like them. Those wall baskets are perfect for annuals or spring bulbs and I bet other gardeners use them for herbs or alpines. 
  • lardpraolardprao Posts: 12
    Lovely exemplar planting! I see what you mean Fairygirl and you are right..this is going to be very,very low maintenance as the owner (not me )will sadly do very,very little to maintain. Love those pots!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,316
    It's really pretty @Debs, but that is the only problem with pots - they take a fair old bit of work!
    Honeysuckles don't usually thrive in pots - not unless they're mahoosive. I don't grow Jasmines as many tend not to be tough enough here, so can't offer any advice there,  but there are lots of clems which will be fine. Need a bit more attention than in the ground of course. Sweet peas are also fine - but need loads of food and water. Wee bit of shade [contrary to the usual advice] suits many of them too. If you're in a hotter area, as many folk are, it's worth experimenting.  Most of my sweet peas are potted:)
    Nasturtiums like poor soil, so maybe you're being too kind to them  ;) 

@lardprao - I think I assumed it was your plot, but hopefully you can see that it's a possibility for the owner. Let us know how you get on anyway  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 490
    Just cut a section off the slabs with a grinder and plant in the soil
  • 2 point 42 point 4 Posts: 27
    Hmm.  I suspect that path is in-situ concrete and not flags.  There is one very obvious cross joint in the path but no others evident.  That could just be a ‘day joint’ when they laid it.  Also, the finished edge of the path both sides is more akin to laid concrete.

The DPC is nice and high as that is visible but what it does tell us is that the path has got quite a slope on it.  Pots may look a bit drunk!  No easy answer, sorry!