Paving slabs right up to walls?

• lardpraolardprao Posts: 12
    That sounds lovely, Pete. Not only am I not a gardener but I am also not a DIYer so will have to outsource that. I just love the idea of some pretty thugs growing on a very stark wall! Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate them all.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,667
    It was easy to do - for me at least - I tried to lift the slab but couldn't, so I smashed it :) and lifted the one next to it. they were only laid on a sandy mortar base which took about 20 minutes to clear. It probably took about an hour in all.
    But make sure that you will be planting below the damp course and as said earlier plant as far away from the wall as possible.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PenninePJPenninePJ Posts: 18
    Containers come in a huge variety of sizes, even small trees like crab apple can easily be accommodated. We have one on the patio that has been in the same pot for over 30 years and is close up to the kitchen backwall. Just remember larger pots are hard to move, modest sizes can be rearranged at will. Good luck with your choices. PJ
    http://catsandapenninegarden.blogspot.com/
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,857
    I grow a lot of plants in containers but climbers always seem to struggle, much more so than even quite large shrubs,roses etc. Not sure why. If you can remove slabs I would definitely do so. It will pay off in the end. If the walls you speak of are not house walls is damp course an issue? Not a builder so ignore that if it’s a stupid question. 
    Yes, that’s what I’m worried about,Debs.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,636
    If you could post a photo or two of the area you want to plant, that would help  :)
    That way we can hopefully work out if you are okay to plant. What size are the paving slabs? 

Thank you..I’ll put some pictures up later today.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,316
    I was just going to suggest the same as @AnniD.
    It would definitely help, although I agree that if you can simply lift a few slabs for planting direct, any climber will benefit. They aren't always mortared in, as Pete says, and are really not difficult to shift if you have the technique. Even the big hefty ones can be shifted without too much effort. I've done it on many occasions without help  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Sorry about typos ...pretty thugs??
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,316
    lardprao said:
    Sorry about typos ...pretty thugs??
    I never even noticed that  :D
    Some pretty thugs are exactly that though - pretty  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....