Spoilt garden views

13»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    edited 12 August
    The OP is the person who is growing over 70 Monkey Puzzle Trees and wants to give them to people who have small gardens ... what about their neighbours’ views eh?  

I think a little more live and let live is called for ... not talk of battles and wars ...  no wonder countries can’t get on if someone speaks in such aggressive terms about the shape of a roof .... and anyway, I’d far rather look out on a nicely constructed pitched roof than a cheap looking flat one that is our view from our upstairs back window. ☹️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nicktennickten Posts: 31

Any gardener will tell you that it's impossible to spread dirt and muck without getting a bit on yourself. 
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,858
    he has a stop notice, not a demolition notice, so he can just leave it as it is for as long as he wants now while he applies for planning permission for the sloping roof (which he most likely get)
    personally I hope he leaves it a building site for as long as possible, just to annoy you, as thats what i'd do.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,257
    I’d far rather look out on a nicely constructed pitched roof than a cheap looking flat one that is our view from our upstairs back window. ☹️ 
    A nice green roof would solve so many planning disputes. 
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 489
    Such a shame this roof spoils your view of the neighbour's house...
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,008
    It's  all relative.  Not  many Londoners have an unspoilt  view . With or without  the garage,  it doesn't  look  too bad to me.  It could've  been leylandii  or one of those  orange  shed things or a workshop   where a diy  fiend plays with  his screeching  boy's  toys from dawn  till dusk  or.......
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230
    Puzzle007, it's understandable to be upset when someone behaves like they are above the law and do what they like ( if that's the case) and the change of view you currently have is an annoying surprise but you are coming across as having an argumentative and vindictive streak. It sounds like a bad neighbourly relationship has led up to this, you perhaps feel at your wits end and you are maybe being misjudged on here if that's the case? I'm just trying to see that there could be more to it because it seems like an over reaction if there's no history of other incidences that is causing bad blood with your neighbour and a horrible atmosphere on here. As for him trimming the conifers, I presume there was no fence previously and to erect one or stop it keep pushing a panel out, trimming it on his side isn't unreasonable at all, your trees are affecting his property. How much land do you reckon he gained? It looks like only an inch at most and probably not done on purpose. It obviously doesn't benefit him, he's got the garage right next to it. Have you not discussed anything with him, is he aware of how vexed you are? There's 2 sides to every story and getting him in bother with the authorities isn't going to help future relations. You say he's unlikely to retaliate because he's a Christian? That suggests that you think you can treat him as badly as you like in a vindictive way and also that he probably would try to remain mild mannered and approachable if you discussed things with him, but then maybe that's why you appear to dislike him so much? I'm a Christian and let me tell you it doesn't mean we will let people walk all over us if they're in the wrong, we just try to not be venomous about it. Either way, you're not coming across very well on here no matter what the full story is.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,201
    Altho different areas/councils have differing criteria re planning, we all know that planning regs have been changed over the last few years.
    If the OP's neighbour applied for PP for a double garage , the application would ( should ) have been posted so that neighbours could object if they chose to.  Presumably, the application would have given the dimensions.
    If the OP says the dimensions are greater than those given in the PP application, then by all means he/she has the right to query it.
    If the council agree that the construction does not follow the planning application, then they obviously have the right to query it.
    All the above is just a normal process I would think and up to the local council to make a decision one way or another.
    What I do find a bit strange is the OP's obvious relish in dealing with this dispute.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
    At my previous house I had a lovely view of the towns main car park,then it was spoilt by a huge Pizza Hut and 11 Screen Multiplex Cinema,my view was never the same  :'(
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
    Just thought I would add that the view at the back of that house was onto yet another car park for the Fire station!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings