Spoilt garden views

Neighbours new build, allegedly a garage!!!
Would love to hear comments on this monstrosity.
Would class it has annex, how people just build what they want, go against planning, add in height and expect to get away with it.
Its totally spoilt the view from my garden and it’s even worse for my neighbours who own the bungalow to the right
Comments welcome !!!   

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,575
    Looks like just another roof now hiding the roof behind it to me.  Depends on what they cover it with.  Did they tell you what they'd be doing or just go ahead without warning?

Can't see a wide garage door tho.   If you think it's illegal, refer it to the local planning department but first ask yourself if that will lead to seriously bad neighbourly relations that may be worse than living with a fake garage.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 518
    Good job you have that tall hedge and wall, assuming its yours.
    Nice mature trees around as well.
    As I live on a new build housing estate my view is the side of a house but my garden is full of interest so it doesn't bother me and much better than looking into a row of windows looking back at you as some on our estate do.
  • hi, you can look on line to your local council planning portal and see if it’s been given planning and then make sure if it actually needed planning or just building regs. It’s amazing what doesn’t need planning nowadays. I would let your hedge grow wild and Untrimmed at the top as living with neighbors who are not friendly spoils a Sunday afternoon in the garden. I know easier said than done. Good luck,  by the way, lovely garden. Val
  • Puzzle007Puzzle007 Posts: 116
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for quick response and yes planning went in but nothing if that building resembles the plans when it comes to measurements.
    He his having pan tiles which had now changed to slate being delivered, clearly he now understands the whole of the build won’t take the weight of pan tiles without a double skin.
    Only half of it had cross beams so it’s going to be used for something bigger to be using full height of roof (crafty)
    Now the big surprise coming tomorrow!!! Building control coming first thing and hopefully the lot will be part demolished.
    People like this think they can slip through the councils nets. He’d been badgering on for my hedge to come down well not in this life of mine, so he’d no roof for guttering either 😂
    The builder told him he couldn’t go higher has it won’t hold a pitch roof so what does he do .... puts another layer of blocks anyway.
    This surely to be good read next week and plenty of photos 😂
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,333
    It probably won’t be demolished, we doubled the size of our bungalow and didn’t need planning, kitchen lounge bathroom and 2 bedrooms, Just building regs.  Slate roof will be much nicer, it will soon blend in, as long as they’re not going to use it as a noisy workshop/business, then you can complain to the council. 
    You could continue your Leylandii hedge along the trellis wall, they won’t take long to reach that height. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Puzzle007Puzzle007 Posts: 116
    Yeah our plan would be to grow now has this is what he did to our hedge to gain more land until we spotted what he’d done to the hedge behind 🤨so the will grow up his roof now 😂 love a good plan B
  • nicktennickten Posts: 57
    Only experience it's better to ignore them and get on with your life. Tit for tat because of a perceived slight just ends up with nobody happy. At worse you could end up on a CH5 documentary.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,631
    IMHO, It looks like a garage to me. 
    @Obelixx the big opening at the front looks like it'd accept a vehicle to me, the white one sitting in front would easily fit in there. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,046
    No offence, but if they have the correct permission, that's just life. No one has 'a right to a view', in the same way as they don't have a right to light, contrary to popular belief. 
    Make your garden attractive enough so that the roof 'disappears' and you have better things to look at.
    It's a helluva lot more attractive than some of the garages I can see.  :D

How often are you actually looking out of an upstairs window at it anyway? Like many people in a suburban setting, I don't have a very attractive outlook when viewing from upstairs, but I don't spend much time there, so it's really not an issue. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,468
    Puzzle007 said:
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for quick response and yes planning went in but nothing if that building resembles the plans when it comes to measurements.
    He his having pan tiles which had now changed to slate being delivered, clearly he now understands the whole of the build won’t take the weight of pan tiles without a double skin.
    Only half of it had cross beams so it’s going to be used for something bigger to be using full height of roof (crafty)
    Now the big surprise coming tomorrow!!! Building control coming first thing and hopefully the lot will be part demolished.
    People like this think they can slip through the councils nets. He’d been badgering on for my hedge to come down well not in this life of mine, so he’d no roof for guttering either 😂
    The builder told him he couldn’t go higher has it won’t hold a pitch roof so what does he do .... puts another layer of blocks anyway.
    This surely to be good read next week and plenty of photos 😂
    It looks like a normal sized garage to me although the use really has nothing to do with it as long as the use is part of the normal domestic workings of the house. Garage, home office, summer house, place for their son to practice his drumming, it's all acceptable in planning terms. Whether they use the roof space or not isn't 'crafty', it just makes sense.
    The weight of any roof is taken on the inner skin of a house. That single skin of dense concrete block wall would support a 3 storey wall with pan tiles so I imagine the change was aesthetics or cost rather than structure. I'm not sure why you thought calling the Building Control officer out was necessary but I imagine you're just wasting his time I'm afraid. If you think it has breached the planning approval then you need to call the planning enforcement officer who would deal with that. You must have had the oppotunity to object to the planning application though so I imagine they didn't consider your objections especially valid if it was still granted permission.
    In all honesty you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill here. Have a sit down and a cup of tea and worry about Brexit or something instead.