Lawn edging tools, recommendations please.

My strimmer has finally given up.
Would like advice on the best and easy way to do the lawn edging and what tools you'd recommend please, should really but something this week.  Thanks. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    edited 11 August
    The half moon edger has been the standard tool for edging ever since I got involved in gardening, and that was more years back than I care to remember.

Just realised that isn't the kind of lawn edging you meant.  Long handled shears if you don't want to get another strimmer.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933
    If you mean what to use to cut the grass at the edge of the lawn, I have always found a long handled shears to be the best. If the lawn abuts hard paving then I use a strimmer.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,949
    Never tried the long handle shears, might give them a go. Also need advice on which strimmer to get, are there any new styles that don't need the plastic line replacing frequently?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,925
    You can buy strimmers which use plastic blades rather than line.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 493
    Just speaking to someone this morning about lawns and they know someone who cuts their edges with scissors and not the big garden sort either!
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,477
    I have got a strimmer,  2 pairs long handled edging sheets and several pairs of hand held edging sheets. I usually use the hand held ones while sitting on a camping mat.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    You can buy strimmers which use plastic blades rather than line.
    The blades still wear out and/or break.
  • How much lawn?
    By edging do you mean cutting an edge into turf or trimming the grass?

A strimmer would be annoying. All that vibration, noise and either fumes, power cord or batteries to charge.
    For turf:
    half moon cutter, flat shovel, old kitchen knife.

For trimming grass:
    Long handled edging shears.
    For detailing eg around washing line poles a pair of sheep shears e.g. jakoti or one handed topiary shears.
    For detailing where there is a direct path-lawn interface an old kitchen knife.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 485
    You get the best finish and quickest job done with a strimmer. Regarding the line... Just fill it with decent line. That stuff they are supplied with, and is sold in B&Q is total junk. 

Twice a year half moon to keep the edging shaped, and a strimmer trim whenever you mow keeps it perfect 

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,949
    Well, I choose a strimmer, it's ok, good power etc. But omg the line! It can't cope with the slightest twig in the way (I'm pretty certain the strimmer itself can!), Then trying to find the two ends again is impossible, stuck together, accessible line seems to come from underneath. 
    How what where - for decent lines please???