Forum home Problem solving

Have had this rose tree for 20 years,but it's not flowered for years is it worth keeping

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Do you know its name? The 7 leaflets would usually but not always, indicate that it is a wild rose possibly growing from the root stock. If the main rose has died, it's hardly worth keeping what is left.
  • All I know it's an anniversary rose,and it has sentimental value,that's the reason I don't want to get rid of it,would love to get it flowering again
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
    edited August 2019
    Is that a yew next to it?  
    I suspect that the rose has stopped doing so well
    as the yew has increased in size and competed for moisture and nutrition and shaded the rose bush. 

I think that this autumn Id cut the rose hard back and move it to a better spot having prepared the soil and added some Fish, blood and bone and an organic mulch  ... in the spring give it some rose fertiliser. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,110
    ..that is rootstock..
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
    Take notice of Marlorena ... she knows much more about roses than I do :flushed:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• People are saying rootstock can you get rid of it
    ..well... you have to dig it out.. as much as you can.. it's not that difficult if you are fit enough and have a spade or garden fork..  from what I can see it appears your original rose is lost... sorry...
  • The foilage in the pic is not from the root it is growing from the shoots of the tree
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'tree'.. it's not a tree, but the rootstock has formed a shrub.. that's all you have left from what I can see... I would say your original rose is long gone... 
  • Thanks for your advice looks like it will get dug up and replaced