Natural weed killers

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,283
    For ‘normal’ weeds I just keep hoeing ... it’s how weeds have been controlled for centuries. 😊 

For the pernicious b****rs I use carefully targeted applications of glyphosate ... applied directly to the leaves of the weed, not sprayed or watered on an area. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,656
    @Guernsey Donkey2 - just use a weedkiller. Don't beat yourself up about it. 
    You're not someone who uses it indiscriminately, same as many of us, and you're already doing your bit for wildlife. As Dove says - you can just target the worst bits.

I have a gravelled area for my car, and I know how much work it can be to hoe or handweed, and I don't expect those plastic thingies make it very easy for hoeing anyway. I'm about to renovate all mine, as the gravel gets swept down onto the road [no proper kerb/barrier] and is a bit sparse, and the weeds are having a field day. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874
    I agree @Fairygirl @Dovefromabove I don't use pesticides/weedkillers indiscriminantly but I do paint leaves when absolutely necessary.  I plant with wildlife in mind and I'm sure I do more good than harm.   
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,946
    Ditto the above 3 posts. Carefully applied glyphosate only works on the weeds not on the ground. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,873
    anything that kills plants is a poison, whether its glyphosate or vinegar.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,381
    A car park  wildflower meadow? 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,355
    edited 12 August
    @B3 no, it's a driveway that we would like to keep free of plants.
    You see how it is - a little voice in my head tells me not to use weed killer (can't hoe because of the grids approx 4" gaps between each one and they are all linked together @Dovefromabove) however as many of you have rightly said I do now garden with wildlife in mind, I am just concerned for the hedgehogs and also the consequences of using a chemical. However I am also thinking that most of these weeds will die off in the winter, so the problem is solved - although I am sure they will return with double the strength next year! The picture shows how the driveway looked when first laid - before this it was mostly potholes with bumps, weeds and water collected everytime it rained.  It was a mess.  Since this picture was taken we have planted a wild flower bank on the left, so you could say we have exchanged one reasonably tidy area for another, depending on your outlook to tidiness.
    A job for life  hand weeding  that drive!
    I suspect  that the wildflower  bank will provide  plenty  of weed seeds. 
    My neighbour  had gravel  in her front  garden.  I never  saw  the results  of the seeds  I sowed  in my garden but they came  up fine  in hers.😕
    We had  some  young  nieces  visiting  once. They asked  us why  so many people  in England  had graves  in their  front  gardens. 
    It  took  me a little  while  to realise  that they were  talking about the gravelled  gardens.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 553
    Glyphosate doesn't kill hedgehogs, or deter wildlife from the garden. That gravel drive needs it, life is too short