Vertical garden on a trellis

hi

im thinking on building a vertical garden using a trellis. It is, I want to attach a trellis to a garage wall (masonry), and then, hang pots from the trellis. Something similar to the attached picture, but using a wooden trellis

The trellis I will use is this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G5MBZQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pjOtDbDHPW3XZ

has anybody done something like that before? My main concern is about putting too much weight on the trellis, so I would like to have advise on how many screws, which size etc...

thanks

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 492
    edited 10 August
    It looks strong enough although they pin it together so you might find it comes apart but small screws would fix it easily.
    I assume your wall is single brick so you need a screw long enough to go through the trellis and into the wall enough but no so long it comes through so anything up to 3 ins. Drill hole into brick first and rawplug then drill a small pilot hole in trellis otherwise the wood will split.
    3 screws top and bottom is plenty but you can do as many as you want.
    As to how many pots you learn from your mistakes so if it breaks then you have put too many on!
  • Love the last bit. That’s what I’ve doing my whole life ;)

In terms of screw size, 7.5x72 is a good approach to what I might need?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 492
    I don't metric sizes!
    As we have a huge box of odd screws  I dig around until I find a couple of long ones but no idea what size they are so sorry no help.