Forum home Problem solving

After Plant Tree and Shrub First Year Feed

BenDoverBenDover Posts: 480
edited August 2019 in Problem solving
Anybody know what a reasonable application rate is for After Plant Tree and Shrub First Year Feed made by Empathy.  The instructions say apply in Spring, throughout summer as required and top dressing in autumn, but no idea what that means in terms of regularity (ie, use weekly, every other week, monthly, quarterly at the turn of each season) and worried about over feeding a newly planted tree that I planted in March.  The NPK is 7.8-3.2-8.1, and you can apply 1-2 handfuls (25-50g), and then water in well.  What's a safe rate of applying?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I have not checked on this product but it’s always better to under feed, especially if you cannot visually see any issues. 

Most shrubs and trees can do without any feeding, so long as the planting has been well prepared, and the feeding should be a mulch/top-dress. Try to do this annually until the shrub/tree has matured a bit.

Watering is the the most important thing, especially during the summer months. Generous watering in the evenings to get the best from watering.

The wording suggests that during the summer time, you can feed weekly to every other week if you feel the plant needs it. It’s a subtle way of telling you, no need to if everything is fine. Depending on the type if shrub/tree, I would not feed more than 3 times over the summer months if there are no signs of stress.