Lime tree unhealthy?

Hi all,

I have always wanted my own lime tree so I bought this little Tahiti, but I'm concerned with the leaves.

I try to water it once a week and I put in summer citrus feed. It gets lots of sunshine and it has been repotted with citrus compost. All of this, but the leaves are still veiny and light green - is this right?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 546
    Usually means it's lacking in something more information here
    https://homeguides.sfgate.com/lime-citrus-plant-yellow-leaves-65943.html
  • I have given it a fertiliser which I presume has the required nutrients as well as citrus specific compost.

Anybody recommend any products or feedback from your own experiences?
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 546
    edited August 2019
    https://www.rhs.org.uk › advice › ci...
    Web results
    How to grow citrus fruit / RHS Gardening
    More detailed info here for you to work through.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,333
    Drainage is important. Check that there is no blockages around the base. Keep pot feet around the base to be sure water drains after watering. Water only when the soil is dry to feel over the top inch. Little and often type of watering is not good for Citrus plants.

Because you are photographing from top down, I can't see the size of the plant, but it may need re-potting to a larger pot soon.
  • I only water once a week and give it a good soaking. It is also on feet and great drainage.

I feel like I covered all areas, hence why I am at a loss.

I am going to try some Epsom salts for the magnesium. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,840
    It does rather look like Magnesium deficiency, but I would give it a dose of sequestered iron as well.

I found my potted lemon tree needed an iron boost at least once a year. I am speaking in the past tense there since the winter climate in my new house has proved too cold for it and it’s turned up it’s toes!

Citrus trees like a slightly acidic soil - a PH of around 6.5-7 - definitely not as acidic as the likes of camellias and azaleas need. The citrus compost should have provided that, but all trees do better with some garden soil or loam based compost mixed in with the compost, so you could do that when you come to repot it.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,188
    edited August 2019
    It’s growing indoors?

Perhaps the type of glass in the windows is filtering out some vital elements of the light spectrum.

See here:

https://glasstimes.co.uk/featured-articles/coated-glass-bad-indoor-plants/

Maybe you need to give it a boost of the blue end of the light spectrum by using a grow light.

My Tahiti lime tree lives outdoors from early June to late September and the leaves are always a lovely dark green. But during the winter, in the conservatory with Pilkington K glazing, the leaves do go a rather peaky looking pale green.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nope, it lives on a very, very sunny patio, but I brought it in due to storms in my area. I think I will give it some some of magnesium and hopefully that does the job.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,371
    Any stress a lime gets makes it do this. Is it very new, as stress only appears after a week or two not immediately. Limes are very different to other citrus and need a little TLC. Past stress will make leaves yellow, curl and drop, but the plant will recover. If it's been in a shop it could have got over heated in the past two weeks( or even in the garden) and will react this way feeding once every 1 to 2 weeks and spraying the leaves with water will help. The base needs to be in a dish with gravel, so no wet feet but humid air. This should cure it.
    Hope your little tree thrives and you get limes in the not too distant future.😁

• I have it a tea spoon of Epsom Salts dissolved in water. Hopefully this should do the job.

On a side note, when do you know fruit is ready to be eaten?