Forum home Problem solving

This tree is taking over

we bought a new build which has a fast growing tree in the front garden. It grows red/purple bushy blooms and the leaves are similar to a fern in a sense that there are many narrow leaves per stem off each branch. The problem is the rhizomes spreading a number of feet. We have cut them off time after time but I am concerned about the drains and patio at the front of the house. Can anyone help identify it so I can learn more.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,369
    Could it be a Stag's Horn Sumac (Rhus Typhina)? They are known for suckering.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • That’s it! Thank you! What should I do? Take it out? Thank you so much

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    I think l'm right in saying that even if you cut it down, the suckers keep on appearing? 
    I think SBK brushwood killer would eventually kill the suckers, but if you don't want to use a weedkiller it's a case of digging them out by hand.
    I found this old thread where someone had the same problem 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/87417/stags-horn-sumach-tree/p1
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    I’m several years into my ‘project’ to rid myself of this awful plant. You really need to dig out the tubers to make any real progress. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,658
    Do ou have any kind of guarantee from the developers. It was very irresponsible of them to plant something that's well known for suckering (which is of course what makes it easy to propagate and therefore probably much cheaper for them than a nice well-behaved small tree).
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Get it out ASAP.  There are loads of better small trees to replace it with.