Forum home Plants

Clematis Montana Broughton Star

Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
Hello fellow gardeners. Broughton Star was planted just before last Christmas but it is in the wrong place. It bore 4 small flowers this year but has grown considerably, getting to the top of its post and spreading along the horizontal bars. Would it be possible to move it to a more suitable position please? If so, how would you recommend doing it and when? Thank you. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,416
    I would do it in winter when it's dormant, making sure you dig as much root as you can and planting it into a ready prepared hole and adding rotted compost. It's a lovely clematis, I have one.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Thank you @Busy-Lizzie. Do they drop their leaves?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,416
    Yes.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • August is the best month for taking cuttings from montana clematis, and Broughton Star is one of the best montana, bred just down the road from me at Broughton, near Preston.  Root yourself some cuttings then if you lose the parent plant when moving it then it is not so painful.
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    Good idea @Richard Hodson. I broke a bit off only this afternoon,  tying some bits in as we are getting some very windy weather. As usual I put it into water, not wanting to waste it! I will take some proper cuttings as insurance. If they take and aren't needed, I'll find new homes for them!