Lens suggestions

Wanting to take some clearer, close up pictures of flowers and insects, so any suggestions for a decent lens would be appreciated, thanks.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,251
    What camera and lens do you currently use? If it's just for a bit of fun you could try finding some spacer tubes to fit your current camera which will allow your lens to have a closer focus. This guy explains it well:

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,201
    In the "olden days" ( SLR cameras ) it used to be a Macro lens.  There is a macro option on a lot of digital cameras but IME, it is not as good. 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,768
    I assume you mean for a DSLR, since you're asking for a lens. Proper macro lenses are all pretty good, the Sigma 105mm f2.8 is a very good modern one. I use an ancient Nikon 55mm macro but the front of the lens ends up nearly touching the subject, which is no good for insects.

Some of the telephoto zoom lenses can get you quite close, but not close enough for insects, or to isolate flower parts. They're OK for 'plant portraits'.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,162
    Thank you for all your helpful comments.  I have now been told my Sony camera isn't suitable for other lenses - only the one that is built in which has a zoom option.   Oh dear - me and cameras - I have no idea at all on the details, only that I would like a clearer picture than it is taking at the moment.I would like to be able to get a finer picture of this lovely butterfly for instance.