Resurrected eighty two

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,688
    Afties all. In for a breather and some rehydration having been working in the garden. It only got sunny very late here so I was able to get loads done in a very comfortable temperature. It is now heating up to 'fry an egg on your car bonnet' temperature! Almost all my plants are in the garden now. The two lots of cloth things out of Lily's TV which were hanging limp and uncooperative in the overcast hours are now doing nicely. Lily herself has found a sunny spot in the border where I was working and is now sun and dust bathing. I will be doing some more watering tonight after the sun dips down.
    T'Bird. I really feel for you. You have had a horrid season this year, worrying about when your next really good rainfall will happen. It does start to get of even more concern when your personal water supply starts to be threatened. We have got thunderstorms forecast but I feel you probably need a month of those to get back on track.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • CheyngelCheyngel Buxton! Derbyshire, not Norfolk.Posts: 3,993
    Afternoon!

I'm living off sandwiches. NOT cooking in this heat.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,912
    Don’t blame you Chey! Maisie had a wonderful time with a bowl of water in the garden. Poor daughter very tired but coping. All gone now just need to wash up etc but need some energy! 
    Afties Chey. I reckon I could live on sandwiches for ever. So many delicious fillings to choose from.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,936
    LB - we don’t have a personal (as in private) water supply. The whole of the Anglian Water region relies heavily on underground water resources for drinking water etc. There are reservoirs in the west of the region but very few when you come further east. 

No rain at all in the forecast for here😔 

I don’t really water the garden now it’s maturing - preferring to improve and mulch the soil. That works in the back garden where all the beds are in shade at some point in the day - and that’s all still fairly green. The front garden, however, faces due south and there’s a mature ash and copper beech tree (both well above the height of the house) which suck all the moisture from the ground. The soil is like dust out there and it’s very hot.

The beech tree is messy and a bit in the way on the drive. We’ve reduced the size of it a couple of times but I’m considering just getting rid of it. It’s not particularly attractive and no birds nest in it. I don’t think it would be a great loss. The ash is even bigger and is now growing through all the phone and power cables. At some stage the utility companies will come and randomly hack bits off if we just leave it. Might beat them to it and see if it’s possible to substantially reduce the size of it and keep it properly shaped. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    Glad you are not without water in the house then T'Bird. I reckon if I had a choice between those two trees, I would opt for the beech myself Still, as you say, it is a bit in the way so removal does seem to be the sensible thing to do.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,936
    Sometimes I like hot days - like just now.

The heat of the day has gone and it’s a balmy summer evening. All jobs done, salads prepared, sausages cooking in the oven for a late dinner and I’m sat in the garden with a lovely cold G&T. The groups of nictotiana are scenting the whole garden and are already a magnet for the moths of dusk. I have a good book to read.

Have given the front border a really good soaking and I’ll do the same tomorrow. If it lives - it lives. If it doesn’t, maybe we’ll accept defeat and build an out house...

Was feeling quite guilty while I was out there with the hose - until I realised that’s actually the FIRST time I’ve watered (other than individual plants at the time of planting) in over a year. Bearing in mind we’ve now had well over 18 months of drought I don’t think that’s too greedy.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    I agree T'Bird. Just watched Poldark. Hmmmm. No spoilers. Better get the cloth things in now.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,301
    T'bird, I hope your garden gets a good soak while you are away.  The water supply in your area is a bit worrying especially for farmers.

LB, I take it you were a bit iffy about the conclusion of Poldark.
    SW Scotland
    Liked the ending Joyce, it was the random bits in the middle I couldn't quite get my head round.