Forum home The potting shed

Resurrected eighty two

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 28,688
    Gorgeous sweet peas Debs.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 5,801
    Lovely sweet peas . I wish I could grow them .
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,623
    Thanks , I have done so well with them this year picked dozens of bunches including some for mom every week. She says they are one of the few things she can still smell. I know they only last a few days in a vase but I love them and the purple ones have done the best including Nimbus which is cream flushed with lilac. 
  • Rebecca110Rebecca110 Posts: 1,485
    Deb's the sweet peas look very good.  It seems to be getting warmer and  I'm waiting for the rain to cool down.  I filled three bin liners yesterday and the bin is full until Saturday morning when the binmen arrive.  Alfie had been sick yesterday so probably the heat.  Ill keep an eye on him in-between fur balls.    He's eating less with the heat but still playing and his coat looks good.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,627
    edited August 2019
    Afternoon (just!)🙂 Going to be another scorcher here - over 29C at the moment - may get hotter later. Have been to town, SM, PO and library so just having a cuppa before I start cooking a curry for tonight. Hairdresser coming later on to give me a haircut, I'll be doing OH's and at some point I'll start loading the motorhome.

In truth, I'd really rather just sit in the shade with my book but, if I keep moving, I might be able to do that when hairdresser has gone.

Debs - those sweet peas are gorgeous. I adore the scent of sweet peas but struggle to grow them well because I'm bad about watering them and they don't really like it too hot and dry. Do you get lots of pollen beetles in them?

Rebeccas - hope Alfie is ok and just struggling with the heat.

Chive - hope the ankle feels better after it's been rested. Don't forget RICE for sprains - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation

LB - love Vib Bod. we have several plants around the garden including a group of about 5 by the front gate. What with that and the winter honeysuckle and sweet box the area smells divine on a warm, still day in early spring.

Right - best keep moving. SYL.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Roofer has just phoned to say they have a gap in their schedule and would it be ok if they came this afternoon :)
    SW Scotland
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 5,801
    Fantastic Joyce . Let’s hope they can sort your roof this afternoon and not have to come back .
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,623
    No pollen beetles topbird just a few aphids now. I grow them at the allotment where there are so many little birds the insects don’t stand a chance! Apart from the dreaded lily beetle curse them!!! 
    Afties all. I've had a bit of a quiet time in the garden today as I got some sad news about a friend this morning. Seize the Day folks. I have brought in my cloth things off the string as I think a storm is brewing.
    Joyce, I've got everything crossed that the roofer gets you watertight asap.
    T'Bird I have my Vib Bod planted next to my Chimonanthus and my Sarcococca is a bit closer to the back door. The scent is sumptuous.
    Hazel - you need to do Monty's trick with foxgloves that he showed on GW last Friday If you haven't had chance to see it he cut a stem of foxglove seed pods, upended it in a paper bag and shook it. You can also just leave it like that until the seed pods open and shed their seeds. Seeds can be any colour. Sow them immediately for good results.

The seed pods were a pale fawn/brown colour Hazel. I suspect that yours are not quite ripe yet. Wait until you can see some of the pods splitting open.