Forum home Problem solving

Can you identify this bamboo?

I've got a stand of bamboo growing in my garden, in and amongst another tree or two. It's starting to grow through my lawn as well, so I'm assuming it's the "running" kind. ANyone know what species it might be from these photos?

I'll try to follow the tips to kill off the plant on the RHS website, unless anyone has any other suggestions!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=210

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    Looks like Pseudosasa japonica to me, which is one of the aggressive spreaders.
  • Thanks, it does indeed look a lot like that!
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,997
    Another aggressive spreader is that Symphoricarpos it's growing through ! :)
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    Battle of the thugs!
    Difficult to determine which species would be victorious in a conflict like that ; the Snowberry would attempt to smother the bamboo , whilst the latter would force its way upwards and through its opponent .
    Interesting scenario really !
  • Haha great. I can leave it a few years and let you know ; )

You can't see in the images very well but i think there's actually a third big plant in the mix too...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,108
    Is that a sycamore sapling I can see in there? 😨
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I couldn't tell ya! Here's a close up of some of the other vegetation. Any thoughts on best thing to do??
    You've got what appears to be Thuja occidentalis (the conifer) on the left ; centre and above is Weigela (pronounced as 'Vee-jel-a) .
    I think Dove is correct regarding Sycamore foliage visible @ 9.00 o'clock in picture 1 ;)
    Looks like it needs a good tidy up underneath , followed by pruning back where needed .
    Be very judicious if cutting back the conifer though ; some do and some don't regenerate from 'brown-wood' !