Which berry ??

I recently tried a berry off neighbouring allotment.  It was soooooo sweet.no sharpness in taste at all.  The plot holder is never around to ask so I don’t know if it was a tayberry or a boysenberry   ?     Can someone  explain the difference and which it was likely to be   Colour was deep red.  Like a long raspberry   Thanks in advance 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,942
    My blackberry is like that, I’ve  had doubts it is a blackberry though  it  could be as you’ve said, did the stems have loads of very short, fine vicious prickles covering them? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PotwomanPotwoman Posts: 34
    No. Not very thorny at all 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,713
    Hello Potwoman. It sounds as if it could be a Loganberry. These are a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry and are thornless.
    Image result for loganberry plant Loganberry
    Tayberries are also a cross between blackberries and raspberries and some are thorny.
    Boysenberries are a cross between blackberries, raspberries and dewberries and are dark maroon in colour. There is a thornless variety of the Boysenberry.
    Image result for tayberries images Tayberry
    Image result for Boysenberry imagesBoysenberry

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,942
    Mine look just like the Tayberry, but the stems are so thick with tiny prickles, although the label said thornless blackberry! the fruit got nibbled, the plant scratched me, I'm digging it out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,619
    I'd say probably loganberry too. They're lovely  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PotwomanPotwoman Posts: 34
    Thanks.  These pics make me think tayberry  due to the colour   The flavour was intensely sweet.  I definitely will be planting one 
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 605
    If you buy one, ensure you get a known-to-be sweet Tayberry variety.  I bought some thinking they'd all be sweet and they're rather flavourless.
    Note: Tayberry's fruit on last seasons growth, so you can cut back the stems once they've finished fruiting.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 188
    tayberries are to me sweeter than loganberries. they also come in a thornless variety called tayberry buckingham