Forum home Problem solving

Magnolias

Our 2 magnolias are in a poor state as can be seen in these photos. Does anyone know what may be the cause? Thanks for any advice.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,108
    Are they in pots?  Can we see photos of the base of the plants please?
    if in pots? What sort of compost are they in?
    how long since they were planted? Which way does the site face?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 128
    Thank you for your advice. They are in good quality compost but have not been repotted for more than 12 months but plan to put them into the garden as it's possible the pots are too small and the compost needs replacing.  They are currently against the back wall of our bungalow facing NE and are therefore in partial sun.
    Sorry, I forgot to send photo of base but it’s probably not possible to assess the plant in a pot anyway. If anyone has any suggestions, please don’t hesitate to comment.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    They need to in the ground as they are large trees. Those pots needed to be much deeper filled with compost/soil when you started,  it's too late now as adding soil would cover the graft. Get them out and in the ground as soon as possible to give them time to adjust before the winter.
    Thank you for your advice and we will do that this weekend.
  • Purplerallim is right - these do need to be planted out in the soil somewhere where they can reach their full size (eventually), give them a good watering, and continue to water weekly at least, whilst the weather is hot or dry.
    Thank you for your advice and I will be doing just that.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    Remember when planting to put it in a space big enough for growth. Mine is cut back to 8 foot high and 8 foot wide, so choose carefully.
    Will do and thank you.
    We have now planted the 2 magnolias in our garden but wondered should I also remove all the dead-looking/brown tipped leaves?