Monty's plug polanting trowel

Anybody know what king of trowel Monty used to plant his cauliflower plugs in the last episode. Red handle with a large 'lip' at the top of the 'blade'. Looked pretty handy!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,047
    It's a hori hori style trowel.  The closest I can see is one by an American company called Lesche. Have a look for metal detecting trowels though as that style is very popular for that.
  • Jonperry64Jonperry64 Posts: 3
    Thank you
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,397
    I haven't watched it, but I'm intrigued as to why anyone needs a trowel to plant plugs!
    I often use my hand if I'm potting on or planting plugs, but surely any type of trowel is suitable?
    I use a bulb planting trowel for everything. It's longer, narrower, and therefore ideal for getting into a small space in solid ground without disturbing other plants. I've had it for at least fifteen years and it's still as good as new  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nicktennickten Posts: 16
    edited 8 August
    He uses a lot of Sneeboer stuff, have a look at their kit if you fancy paying £40 for a dibber.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,373
    Niwaki is not cheap, but not £40 either: https://www.niwaki.com/store/hori-hori/
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • nicktennickten Posts: 16
    Just looked at it on iPlayer, looks like a finger guard. Red handle could be Wilcox?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,636

@Fairygirl snap! That's what I use too.

I'm always fascinated by the trowel and the way Monty uses it for bigger plants. It's flat and he pulls it towards him. I have an ordinary trowel and I dig a hole with it.

Dordogne and Norfolk
    Fairygirl said:
    I haven't watched it, but I'm intrigued as to why anyone needs a trowel to plant plugs!
    The trowel he used is valued by metal detectors because it can saw a neat hole through hard ground and plant roots. It's a bit OTT for his well tilled raised bed compost but I doubt he gets given them for free unless he uses them at least once on tv  :# Great for planting bulbs though I imagine.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 491
    edited 8 August
    I got this trowel many years ago as a special present from a friend, and have since given them as presents to others.  Enormously useful for tight spots, and very, very sturdy.  If you needed a trowel for planting plugs would also do that job...

and I think they are beautiful too!

https://www.arthurandstrange.co.uk/product/uncle-peters-trowel-standard-11-inches/
    Uncle Peter's 16 incher looks like an impressive tool.