I'm a mother!

On Sunday my friend was admiring my flower arrangement in the church when I noticed a clutch of insect eggs on a fuchsia leaf.  I took the leaf home and put it in a screw top jar.  Over the next two days the white eggs darkened and this morning they'd hatched.  I've picked some more fuchsia leaves and put them in for them to feed on.  Now I have to think up names for my new pets, but I don't know if they're boys or girls.  Can anyone suggest about a hundred gender-neutral names?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,123
    What have you spawned?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,280
    Don't know until they grow.  Watch this space.
  • I suspect that they are Elephant Hawk Moths! if so, they will have a short tail.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,370
    You could call them all after food stuffs - Lentil, Mung, Fava, Paprika, Sprout, Lapsang, Piccalillly etc.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    I suspect that they are Elephant Hawk Moths! if so, they will have a short tail.
    I agree with that! They stripped my fuchsias last year, you'll need big fuchsia plants for them to feed on, they eat loads. 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    They also eat willow herb ... I’m sure we could all send supplies of that 😆 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.  They are growing fast.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    @Fishy65 asked me for seeds from the Rosebay Willow Herb, I did say I wouldn’t wish it on him, but I have collected some which I’ll post off soon. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,444
    Crikey!  Yesterday I found a rosebay willowherb seed resting in the compost of a houseplant on my bathroom windowsill.  Fortunately  before it germinated!  Although huge sweeps of it in verges etc do look impressive, I don't want it taking up residence.
    My babies are growing but still too small to ID.  Currently getting through four or five fuchsia leaves a day.  It's fascinating how they chew the meat off them and leave a lacy veil.  I've got a big fuchsia bush close to the house, so I don't think they'll eat me out of house and home before they pupate.