Forum home Problem solving

What’s going on with my herbaceous peony?

jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
I moved this a couple of months back after the flower (singular) had faded. It looked absolutely fine until the last couple of weeks where it seems to have gone rapidly downhill. He has been given plenty of water. Is this natural dieback of the foliage? Or is it dead/dying?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Peonies don't like being moved too much...doing it in the middle of the summer is not a good time either...September time would be much better, this one looks like it has either gone dormant too early or it died by transplant shock. If the leaves are totally dry, cut them down and see if it revives itself in the Spring. Another reason for failure is if they are planted too deeply. Good luck, hope it comes back next year.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    they normally look pretty ropy by now. I'd do nothing until you know for sure it's dead. i.e. this time next year.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    edited August 2019
    I was going to suggest too deep. The top of the crown should be pretty much at the surface. When you cut off the dead stuff, check the depth and replant it more shallowly if there's a lot of soil on top of the crown. Then wait and see if it comes back next year.
    As it only had one flower, it might have been too deep in its previous location and already struggling, so don't beat yourself up about it :)
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,970
    Did you move it just before the heatwave? It may have been unable to cope. However I'm 99% sure it'll come back next year if you keep the soil moist. They're tough!
    I blew up the photo and I can't see the "crown" of the plant. It may be planted too deep, but it may just be some leaf litter .
    Even when the foliage dies back, you should still be able to see the "crown" just on the surface. 
    Have a rummage and check.
    Devon.
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    Ok thanks will do.  
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121
    I would cut off the white loop around the base of the stems to let the air circulate round the crown.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    I had a rummage and clear around the crown and now it looks like this:

When I blow up the first of those , I can see a nice big fat green bud , bottom right , on the crown. I'd certainly leave it until next year. It looks to be planted at the correct depth from what I can see.
    Devon.