Forum home Problem solving

Rose problem

Seeing as noboody answered this in the Rose topic, maybe I had it in the wrong place

My Ferdinand Pichard produced a fairly normal fist flush, but now it only has one very small flower not much bigger than the top of my thumb instead of 2 to 3 inches across, it also looks like something has had a chew at it

The plant is in a woden planter 3'x18"x10" deep trained on a 4' trellis and in its 4th year,only gets about 4 hours full sun each day, late afternoon/evening.

I'm wondering if the planter is not big enough and/or not enough sun, plus signs of being eaten, the brown edged indentations in some petals.

Before moving to this ground floor flat just over 4 years ago I had a garden with over 40 roses, Ferdinand Pichard there thrived, I had it "pegged out" with branches almost horizontal, it flowered almost continuously, not in flushes

This was at about nose height right by the front door, beautiful scent when going in & out; there was as much again to the left - should have used a wide angle lens

I'm like my avatar, a local ruin

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    Welcome DorsetMike......I climbed up the hill to Corfe Castle when I was a child. Looks a bit too steep now.
    At the risk of stating the ******* obvious, is the plant getting enough food now that it is in a trough?
  • A top dresing of manure late winter then periodic handfuls of "Toprose" through the summer
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 534
    Hiya... Don't know if its this but I asked a similar question about one of my roses some time ago as the second flush flowers were smaller.....

... And turns out it was becuase was deadheading it right behind the flower heads which results in smaller flowers whereas if you cutback to the next 5 leaf then the roses come back full size.
    Thanks to @marlorena for the original advice 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    10” is pretty small. A pot/trough 18” diameter and a minimum of 18” high, but ideally more, is better for a rose, especially a climber, but even then they need good, well-enriched soil and regular feeding and watering.

Small blooms can also be caused by hot weather or drought - many of mine are all a lot smaller than normal at the moment with ragged edges (sun-fried).

Lots of things can nibble on roses. The damage is often done to buds, which you may not have noticed, which then results in ragged flowers.

Six hours of sun is the usual minimum for roses but some can survive in more shade.

So I don’t think you have created the ideal environment for your rose, I’m afraid. On top of that, it may be suffering from a bit of stress generally, after the shock of being moved from it’s happy place in the ground.

Our rose expert @Marlorena will probably know your rose and hopefully be able to offer you more specific advice on what to do to improve matters (hope you don’t mind me tagging you M).
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I agree, the container is too small, and in my opinion not suited for an area with just 4 hours sun. Probably why it’s not thriving and flowering well. 

Check the leaves, any sign of damage? Buds being small or getting nibbled could be saw fly damage and sometimes thrips damage. 

I think you will get decent repeat flowering if grown in a sunnier spot. 
  • This is not the same rose as in the second and third pics, this was bought from a garden centre in a large pot; I would have thought the volume of soil in a 3'x18"x10" deep was sufficient, if the roots can't go down then surely they will spread outwards.
  • Moving to a sunnier spot is not an option unless I move from this flat, I am limited to a patio about 6'x8' on a WNW aspect; I have another trough the same size with 3 smaller roses in which are blooming quite well. Although I only get get about 4 hours direct sun the patio is not shaded by trees or other buildings.
    How deep is your container? The figures in inches would not be enough. Plus I suspect it’s not getting enough sun. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    10" depth is about 14" too shallow for a shrub or climbing rose rose to do well..   It is stressed and always will be unless you can give it more depth and generous feeding.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Not sure what others think but I don’t think this rose will thrive in the limited amount of sun you have there.

There are other roses that will do fine with limited amount of sun, so I suggest looking at other roses.