Forum home Problem solving

Plant Identification Help

Good morning. Trying to identify this plant for my sister who has lost the label! When not in flower the plant has woody stems so she thinks it's a small shrub. The plant is 2 to 3 years old in the photo. Thank you in advance.

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,989
    It looks a little like a type of low growing shrubby salvia to me, don't think that's right though.
    I'm sure one of the plant experts on here will know what it is  :)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133
    Looks like Neon Salvia, but how tall is it now?   The new growth is right for that one. 
    I’m  probably wrong. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• brenda1952brenda1952 Posts: 56
    edited August 2019
    Thank you @AnniD and @Lyn for your suggestions. The plant is low growing, approximately 6 inches high. The flowers are trumpet shaped with no fragrance.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I think this could be the Mexican Scullcap, Scutellaria Suffrutescens. Maybe Texas Rose.
  • I think you are right @Borderline. Will pass the info to my sister. Thank you very much to all for taking the time to help 😊 
  • JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN North DevonPosts: 191
    I have two of these and they were planted 14 years ago and they flower every year but like your sister I lost the label so am delighted to now know what it is. If you prune the dead wood off it in Spring it will produce lots of leaves and flowers and it is easy to propagate from cuttings in late Spring.
  • Thank you @JAYJARDIN I will let my sister know. Isn't this site informative? Thank you again